blue basilica

~ as if truth were a secret in such low solution that only immensity can give us a sensible taste ~

Name:
Location: Brooklyn, NY, United States

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

a rose by any other name?


the other night at my birthday dinner, my sister, whom i have taken to calling 'simone,' trumped me, nay, checkmated me, in a game i've been playing with myself--not even with, nor against her--for as long as i can remember.

most people who know me know that people's names are very important to me. accordingly, i have long daydreamed--as i suppose most people have, really--about what i would name my first child (and as luca brasi would say, may my first child be a masculine child), perpetually coming up with what i think are great names, then trying to top them.


well, my sis came up with a name--yes, a boy's name--that raises the bar to a height that i dont think i can surmount. so, i think this might create a race--a la g-costanza racing his friend to conceiving a male, whom he could name seven--between my sister and i, to conceiving a male first. (bearing in mind that neither of us can fathom having kids in less than, say, 50 years from now...)


anyhoo, that name, which simone came up with, is captain. personally, i think it's perfect. it's unique, cute-when-he's-young & cool-when-he's-older, and perhaps best of all, ego-boosting and affirming. imagine everyone--relatives, then friends, then teachers, then colleagues, calling you 'captain.' i really think it's marvelous. captain brin.

(btw, im not implying with these pics that my kid should rightly have a 1/4 chance of being a baseball legend, and a 3/4 chance of being a cartoon. these are simply the iconic captains i know and love.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Jeannie said...

don't forget captain crunch.

i must admit with a name like captain he also has a 7/8 chance of becoming a go-go dancer as well.

also, my sister's wedding photography who is a woman is nick-named Cappy - which i found strange yet endearing. Cappy!!

11:29 AM  
Blogger Colby said...

cap'n crunch JUST missed the cut (i AM a big fan. partic. with crunch berries). but he's 'cap'n', remember.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Nora said...

I'm with Danny. But at least it's better than Adonis (which would ensure that your boy ends up a narcissist nightmare) or Constant (which would ensure that your boy ends up a murderous patrician with erectile disfunction).

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home